Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Luck and Skill in Games by Richard Garfield (NYU Lecture)

NYU Game Center Lecture Series: Richard Garfield from NYU Game Center on Vimeo.



I honestly thought this was interesting. As a guy who wants to generally drive game narrative, I was opened up to some ideas of thought that I had never considered when applying rules to skill and luck, but more importantly balancing the two.

For some of you who wouldn't know, Richard Garfield is the creator of the "Magic the Gathering" card game amongst many other card, board and video games. His approach to what he calls multiplayer "Orthogames" is scientific in nature, but something I should definitely consider using for my discovery project game.

And to paraphrase the video, even baseball was in the design stage at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment